Author of “Beyond The Obvious” and host of the award winning Killer Innovations podcast, Phil McKinney is recognized, through his numerous worldwide speaking engagements, seminars and workshops, as a leading authority on innovation and its impact on business, industries, economies and society.
Phil McKinney currently is President and CEO of CableLabs. In this capacity he heads the research and development organization responsible for the global cable industry’s technology and innovation roadmap.
In December 2011, he retired from Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ) as the vice president and chief technology officer of the $40 billion (FY12) Personal Systems Group at HP where he also oversaw the global Innovation Office.
Phil released his first book on innovation and personal creativity titled Beyond The Obvious, in February 2012, published by Hyperion. The book presents his rule-breaking approach to harness the power of innovation. The book is available in hardcover, digital and audio formats. The book is available in Chinese, Portuguese (Brazil), Korean and Japanese.
His influence on innovation and creativity includes:
- Leading the team named as one of the “Most Creative” by FastCompany and BusinessWeek.
- Recipient of multiple “product of the year” awards covering a wide range of industries and technologies
- Sharing his expertise in innovation and creativity, free of charge (in an approach he refers to as “paying it forward”) through his award winning podcast Killer Innovations™ (available on iTunes). CIO Insight calls it a “must listen” podcast.
- Vanity Fair named him the “The Innovation Guru”
- MSNBC and FOX Business both call him “The Gadget Guy”
- His uncanny ability to predict what’s coming next caused him to be dubbed as the “chief seer” by The San Jose Mercury News.
- He was named as one of the “25 Most Influential People in Mobile Tech” by LAPTOP Magazine.
McKinney serves on the:
- Board of Directors for The Computer History Museum